3.16.2009

the bludgeoning of Grace

Its been awhile and things seem to have fallen silent on this front. Things in life have been overly hectic. Hospital visits, out of work from week to week and seemingly a never ending flow of...well...life and all that it has to offer. Its interesting how this subject of grace is so versatile in nature. Grace extends its touch out in so many ways and yet we confine it so swiftly.

I was having a hard time thinking of a title for this."The Abuse of Grace" didn't seem to carry the weight that I was after. But then the imagery of the Juggernaut came into mind. He doesn't abuse or beat ....he bludgeons, everything he touches! And how often have we, do we, are we, bludgeoning grace in our own lives? I am not claiming that the Juggernaut is tantamount to sin....that would be silly.

Romans 6:1-2
1 Well then, should we keep on sinning so that God can show us more and more of his wonderful grace? 2 Of course not! Since we have died to sin, how can we continue to live in it?

As a Christian we have died to sin just as Christ has. When Christ died on the cross that was it. This is the ultimate example of God's grace. That while were(Romans 5:8) still sinners Christ died for us.

This grace of God is never ending. This being the case why not continue to sin? What's it matter? He will always be there...right? Right. He will always be there but will you. God's grace IS never ceasing but is your patience for your self never ceasing? Can you continue to screw up and knowingly sin and expect to live a good Godly existence? No. Plan and simple.

The fact is that we were not created for this sin that we live in. We were made in God's image(Genesis 1:26) and His likeness.
The very fact that God is perfect and sin cannot exist around Him or within Him ought to tell us this fact.

Grace is a beautiful thing. "Unmeritted favor" is a beautiful description. We don't deserve it. We shouldn't receive it and so often we mis appropriate it in our lives. And all the while our Creator is standing by waiting for us to turn and run back into His arms.

We in our lives need to cease this bludgeoning of God's abundant grace. Stop living in guilt from sin. Stop lying to ourselves and saying that we can deal with it whens it blatantly obvious that we cannot.

This chapter from the book of Psalm lays it out very concisely.

Psalm 32
1 Oh, what joy for those whose disobedience is forgiven, whose sin is put out of sight! 2 Yes, what joy for those whose record the Lord has cleared of guilt,whose lives are lived in complete honesty! 3 When I refused to confess my sin,my body wasted away, and I groaned all day long. 4 Day and night your hand of discipline was heavy on me.My strength evaporated like water in the summer heat. 5 Finally, I confessed all my sins to you and stopped trying to hide my guilt.I said to myself, “I will confess my rebellion to the Lord.”And you forgave me! All my guilt is gone. 6 Therefore,let all the godly pray to you while there is still time,that they may not drown in the flood waters of judgment. 7 For you are my hiding place; you protect me from trouble.You surround me with songs of victory. 8 The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you. 9 Do not be like a senseless horse or mule that needs a bit and bridle to keep it under control.” 10 Many sorrows come to the wicked,but unfailing love surrounds those who trust the Lord. 11 So rejoice in the Lord and be glad, all you who obey him!Shout for joy, all you whose hearts are pure

1 comment:

Havok said...

Ryan: We were made in God's image(Genesis 1:26) and His likeness.
Is this the reason many Christians have such problems with evolution?

Ryan: The very fact that God is perfect and sin cannot exist around Him or within Him ought to tell us this fact.
For argument's sake (and I do love a good argument :-) ), lets assume you're correct in this.

Before everything there was God, and everything else that exists was created by God, right?
So how did sin come into existence if God cannot sin and sin cannot exist around or in Him?
Is there something which is not of God from which sin came?